This Valentines Day lets look to whole foods to get us in the mood, with a little less caffeine, a bit more sleep and some key nutrients, you’ll be feeling your best & sexiest.
Besides food, I also recommend a few lifestyle factors that help to increase healthy sex drive naturally. Eating regularly is number 1, balancing blood sugar is key to good moods, stamina and healthy hormones. Decreasing stress through mediation & gentle exercise as well as getting quality rest are very important, plus reducing toxins in your environment, like phthalates and parabens, that disrupt hormone function.
Below I have included a recipe for the bowl featured at the top, it's rich in nutrients to increase libido, as well as some dessert suggestions to finish the night off right.
· 1 sweet potato, cut into to cubes
· 3 medium size beets, washed and trimmed
· 1 cup of walnuts
· ¼ cup of yogurt (I suggest goat or coconut)
· 2 Tbs of extra virgin olive oil
· 1 clove of garlic
· ½ lemon juiced
· 1 Ripe Avocado
· 2 big handfuls of washed leafy greens (I had spinach)
· 1 Tbs of Hemp seeds
· 1 Tbs of Bee Pollen
· 1 tsp of grated ginger
· 1 Tsp of Raw Honey
· ¼ tsp of Cayenne
· Alfalfa sprouts to finish & salt and pepper to taste
Start by preheating the Oven to 400F. Take the sweet potato cubes and toss in coconut oil and cayenne pepper and put on a baking tray. Chop beets in to chunks and wrap in parchment in a small Dutch oven or surrounded by tin foil and roast the sweet potato and beets for about 30-40 minutes, or until tender.
Allow the beets to cool a bit before unwrapping and place in food processor with walnuts, yogurt, garlic, olive oil, lemon, salt and pepper and blend, adding small amounts of water till smooth and creamy.
Combine the roasted sweet potatoes with some raw honey and I like to add a bit of miso. Sauté the spinach on low heat, tossed with ginger to finish and start compiling all the ingredients in a bowl. Finish with sliced avocado, sprouts and a sprinkling of hemp and been pollen.
· Sweet Potatoes - Rich in antioxidants and B vitamins, help to counteract bloating and improve circulation.
· Beets - High in Boron, aids the production of sex hormones, as well as tryptophan, increases sense of well-being.
· Walnuts - Rich in Omega 3’s, as well, improves blood flow and boosts dopamine, the pleasure chemical.
· Yogurt - Full of probiotics, which have numerous benefits, boost mood, digestion, increase immunity and weight loss.
· Evoo & Hemp - High in healthy fats, the backbone of sex hormone production.
· Avocado - Rich in B6, potassium and vitamin K, all necessary for male and female reproductive health, they also contain bio-identical testosterone, which boosts sex drive!
· Spinach - Full of essential vitamins and minerals, especially Vitamin A, K and Folate, important for reproductive health.
· Ginger & Cayenne - Increase blood flow very well…!
· Bee Pollen - Rich in Zinc, Vit E, iron, protein, magnesium, selenium, this super food is a natural libido booster and provide sustained energy.
· Raw Honey - An ancient aphrodisiac that really works, boots stamina, promotes healthy hormones and increases nitric oxide, the hormone released during arousal!
For dessert, I suggest minimizing refined sugars that will lead to a crash in energy, instead reach for quality dark chocolate, rich in magnesium and serotonin for relaxation and blissful mood. Figs are also a classic aphrodisiac, delicious and rich in healthy hormone nutrients like potassium and fiber, but also stimulate the secretion of pheromones.
Happy hormones mean sexy times, so enjoy these delicious whole foods, not just this Valentines Day, but all year round.
LOTS OF LOVE xo